Sunday, November 24, 2013

Cranberry Salad

This is from my Aunt Faye's vintage recipe file.
I know that most people don't make these molded salad for the holidays anymore, but they were so popular in the 50's and 60's and probably much earlier. I believe the Victorians had molded salads.
When we were in London last Christmas we shopped at Liberty ( it's a block from Carnaby Street), they have a clearance room that's incredible. We bought several souvenirs there. We got a glass mold , an iron christmas tree stand and a Christmas ball ornament covered in buttons. We also have many Steamed Pudding Molds and a ceramic mold for salads. I make molded salads and steamed puddings, so I was interested in this recipe from my aunt.

I made some adaptations to the recipe based on things that may have changed since the 50's and 60's.

Here's my version of her salad:

1 pound of fresh cranberries, ( the original recipes says to grind them, at this point I would say that they can be pulsed in a food processor to reach the consistency of them being put through a "grinder".

1 1/2 C sugar ( pour over the cranberries in a bowl and let stand for an hour.

1 package of frozen strawberries
1 box of cherry jello
1 C boiling water
1 C chopped pecans

In a large bowl, dissolve the jello in the boiling water.
Add the frozen strawberries and the cranberry/sugar mixture.
Fold in the nuts.
Pour into a mold and refrigerate until set.

To release the salad, soak a kitchen towel in hot water. Wring out the towel and wrap around the mold that's been placed upside down onto a serving platter. Leave the towel for a minute. Release the salad  by jiggling it over the platter, repeat with the hot towels if it doesn't release ,  refrigerate on the platter until ready to serve.



Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

These are my favorite Molds for Cranberries.
The glass mold is the one we bought in London
last Christmas. I'll be using both of these
this week for Thanksgiving


No comments:

Post a Comment