Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Dallas Morning News Taste Section 11/20/2013

I didn't post anything from the paper last week. I was surprised to find that there were no recipes, only a list of stores where you could buy food for Thanksgiving.  I realize that not everyone cooks and purchasing your Thanksgiving Dinner has become very easy. The menus for a complete dinner have certainly improved for those needing to buy it.
However, today I read a recipe that I liked. It's from a restaurant in Dallas called Slow Bone BBQ. Anyone who knows Texas, knows that we have some great food at our BBQ restaurants. There are also a large variety of vegetarian sides for those that do not eat meat. I'm impressed with the entire meal I can get at a BBQ restaurant. Another favorite BBQ Restaurant here is called Hard 8. Their sides and desserts are impressive.

Whenever any recipe calls for salt. I use French Sel de Mer that I  have mixed with dried Rosemary, that I grow and dry myself. I gather it in bundles, tie it with string, hang it in the garage to dry. Once it's dried, I pulse it in a coffee grinder that I only use for herbs.

Here's my pick of the week:

Slow Bone Cauliflower and Brussels Sprout Gratin:

2 1/2 C heavy cream
1/3 C chopped shallots
1 TBS  chopped fresh sage leaves
Kosher salt to taste
2 TBS olive oil
1 C bread crumbs
1 1/2 TBS chopped fresh parsley
1 1/2 pounds small-medium brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered if medium sized), halved if they are small. (I bought a 2 pound bag and used it all)
1 medium head of cauliflower, trimmed and cut into 1" florets.
2 C grated parmesan cheese, divided

Butter a 9"X13" baking dish
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Combine cream, shallots and sage leaves in a large saucepan.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer until the mixture is reduced to about 2 1/2 C, this should take about 10 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Remove from heat and set aside to cool.

Heat oil in a large skillet on medium heat.
Add breadcrumbs and stir until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes.
Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool.
Stir in parsley.
Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.

Arrange half of the vegetables in the buttered dish.
Sprinkle with half of the parmesan cheese.
Arrange remaining vegetables over the first layer.
Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Pour cream evenly over the casserole.
Cover with foil.
Bake for 50 - 60 minutes.
Remove foil.
Sprinkle casserole evenly with bread crumb mixture and return to bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes, or until bread crumbs are browned.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


Basic ingredients.



The Cream Sauce cooking.
This is after its baked for 1 hour.

The final dish after the Bread Crumbs have browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment