Friday, November 15, 2013

Carrots with Shallots, Sage and Thyme / Thanksgiving 2013

I'm not sure where this recipe comes from. I found it among my many notes that I take when researching and creating new recipes.
I didn't plan on serving carrots this Thanksgiving and after I found this recipe I wanted to make it.
I went to a town just north of Dallas today and visited one of my favorite shops. They are quite eclectic. They sell European Antiques. They also have Organic Produce, Meat and Cheese, all from local Farmers. They have a deli counter where you can order lunch and either sit inside on mismatched chairs at vintage iron tables or outside at iron tables with antique wood slat benches. The shop is on the square of the old courthouse.
It's been a favorite stop for me since 1989.
Today I was in town with a friend, hanging out and shopping for Christmas. We decided to have lunch from the deli and enjoyed it outside. The weather was cool, sunny and perfect for eating outside.
I bought 2 bunches of their organic heirloom carrots for this recipe. They are purple, orange and yellow. I added some other carrots from my local grocer to complete the quantity for the recipe.

3 pounds of carrots, a variety of colors, if available.
1 C vegetarian chicken broth
1/2 pound shallots, thinly sliced
1/2 stick (1C), butter
1/4 C chopped fresh sage
1 TBS finely chopped fresh thyme
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Cut carrots into 3"X 1 1/2"sticks

Bring broth to a boil with 3/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper, in a large skillet.
Add carrots, simmer covered for about 15 minutes. They should be slightly tender.

Remove cover and reduce liquid, about 5 minutes.

Transfer them to a bowl, clean the skillet and begin the next step.

Cook shallots in butter with 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper on medium heat about 6 minutes, just until golden brown.

Add sage, thyme and nutmeg, cook just 1 - 2 minutes.

Remove from heat, return the carrots to the skillet.
Toss to coat well.
Serve hot or refrigerate and re heat when ready to serve.



Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!






No comments:

Post a Comment