Thursday, November 21, 2013

Creamy Cheddar Cheese Grits / Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman

I just watched an episode of the Pioneer Woman. I love Grits. Texans love Grits.
I like this recipe a lot. The addition of vegetables gives the Grits additional flavor.
I use a vegetarian Chicken or Vegetarian Beef Stock.
I'm not sure how many of my readers eat grits, but I would recommend starting with these.
I also have  recipes for Smoked Gouda Cheese Grits. Texas Cheese and Chile Grits. Smoked Gouda Cheese Grits Souffle and Creamed Grits Casserole. Try them, you might love them!
I simply re posted Ree's recipe.

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon oil
2 jalapenos, diced
1 whole onion, diced
1 whole red bell pepper, diced
4 cups stone-ground grits
8 cups low-sodium chicken (or beef) broth
2 cups half-and-half
2 cups grated Cheddar
Directions
Heat the butter and oil in a pan and add the jalapenos, onions and bell peppers. Cook until softened, 5 minutes or so.

Pour in the grits, followed by the broth and 3 cups water. Stir, and then bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and then cover and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the half-and-half. Stir, and then cook until the grits are tender, another 20 to 30 minutes. At any time, add more broth if the grits look like they need more cooking liquid.

Remove the grits from the heat and stir in the cheese. Serve immediately.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment