• I hesitated to post this recipe. When I discovered that it was shared from another blog, I researched it and found two other blogs that had posted the same picture, the exact picture. I do not post photographs other than my own. In this case I am not going to list the 3 blogs that posted the same recipe and the same photograph. Instead, I will simply say that this is not an original recipe and I will not post a photograph unless it's my own.
    I liked the recipe so much that I felt  I should share it with my readers. I could have adapted it, changed it and made it my own, but I chose not to do that. I hope this covers all Food Blogging etiquette, otherwise I will gladly pull it from my blog.


    A Tian is a layered, baked vegetable dish that originated in Provence. It is traditionally served for Bastille Day. It was made at this time because the Summer Vegetables used in the recipe were in season. Unlike a gratin, a Tian does not include bread crumbs or cheese, which allows the juices in the vegetables to evaporate in the oven's dry heat, concentrating their flavors.

    This recipe does include a bit of cheese, a traditional Tian doesn't.

    1 TBS. olive oil
    1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
    1 tsp. minced garlic
    1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
    1 medium yellow squash, thinly sliced
    1 medium potato, thinly sliced
    1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
    1 tsp. dried thyme
    salt & pepper, to taste
    1 cup shredded Italian cheese ( I used Organic Paragon Cheese from The Van Huizen's Dairy in Texas) It's very comparable to an Italian Hard Cheese.

    I bought the Cheese at a very cool shop on Mesquite St. in Arlington.

    The shop is called Potager's Other Stuff, it's part of the Potager Cafe on Mesquite St. just south of the store.  http://www.potagercafe.com/
    The owner is Cynthia and the restaurant is amazing.
    If you're ever in the area, I highly recommend it.
    You'll love the food, the atmosphere, the staff and especially the proprietor.
    The concept of the restaurant is very clever. Look it up and let me know if you ever eat there or shop at the store!


     Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

     Sauté onion and garlic in a skillet with olive oil until softened (about five minutes).

    Spray the inside of an 8x8 square baking dish with non-stick spray. Spread the softened onion and garlic in the bottom of the dish. Place the thinly sliced vegetables in the baking dish vertically, in an alternating pattern. Sprinkle generously with salt, pepper, and thyme.

    Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, top with cheese and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown


    Enjoy!
    Peace in the Kitchen!