Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Dallas Morning News Taste Recipe August 28, 2013

Today's Taste section headline was Salad Daze. I found it to be a bit boring even for a vegetarian. It was a recipe for an Antipasto Salad.
There were a few other interesting recipes, but the one that got my attention was this one for Molasses Crinkles.

 ( Source: Betty Crocker's New Boys and Girl's Cookbook, out of print/ The Miami Herald)

The Holidays are approaching and I can't seem to get enough cookie recipes. I enter the Dallas Morning News Holiday Cookie Baking Contest annually, so I am constantly researching cookie recipes. I'll post all of my recipes that I enter in the contest.

3/4C shortening, or butter
1 C brown sugar, well packed
1 egg
1/4 C molasses
2 1/4 C flour
3 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp powdered ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
Granulated Sugar for dipping

Wet Ingredients
In a bowl, thoroughly mix together:
shortening
brown sugar
egg
molasses

Dry Ingredients
In a separate bowl, whisk together:
flour
baking soda
cinnamon
ginger
clove
salt

Mix dry ingredients into the wet ingredients
Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight ( I always recommend refrigerating cookie dough, it's an important step in making great cookies)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Line a cookie sheet pan with parchment paper or Silpat

Using a cookie scoop,  make1"- 1/2" balls about the size of a walnut.
Dip the tops only in the granulated sugar
Place the 3" apart on the cookie sheet pan
Bake 10 - 12 minutes or just until set

Cool on the sheet pan for 2 minutes and transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!




No comments:

Post a Comment