Thursday, August 22, 2013

Grill-Roasted Peppers with Goat Cheese and Sauteed Summer Corn


Here's a great Vegetarian recipe from Vegetarian Times Magazine.

Roasting a bell pepper on the grill is easy and yields great results. Grill, steam, and peel ahead if you like; arrange in baking dish and gently reheat before serving. Choose large, blocky peppers for this recipe.
Grill-Roasted Peppers
  • 4 yellow or orange bell peppers
  • 4 oz. fresh goat cheese, softened to room temperature
  • Thinly sliced fresh chives or chopped parsley, for garnish
Sautéed Summer Corn
  • 2 Tbs. olive oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced small (1 ¼ cups)
  • 1 tsp. salt, optional
  • 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
  • 3 cups fresh corn kernels ( I roasted ears of corn and removed the kernels from the cobs)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
  • ½ tsp. fresh lemon or lime juice
  • 2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley 
1. Heat gas grill to high (no need to preheat). Put bell peppers directly on grate, and cook 10 to 20 minutes, or until blackened in places, turning every few minutes. Transfer to bowl, cover with foil, and let stand 10 to 15 minutes. Peel bell peppers over bowl to catch juices; discard skin. I strained the juice with a sieve into a bowl. Cut bell peppers in half, I cut them on a plate to catch additional juice and strained it. ( leaving stems in), and arrange cut side up in baking dish.

2. Mix goat cheese with 2 1/2 Tbs. reserved bell pepper juices in small bowl. Divide goat cheese mixture among bell pepper halves. (Don’t worry if bell pepper halves are somewhat misshapen.) Refrigerate if working ahead. Remove from fridge 1 hour before serving.
Note: I ended up using 6 Bell peppers and 6 ears of corn. Because I increased the amount of the main ingredients, I used twice as much goat cheese, adding half of it with the Bell Pepper Juice and the other half, I stirred with a fork and dropped dollops on top of the cheese and juice mixture in the peppers. I suppose you can adapt the recipe to what ever amount of Peppers you are serving.
I refrigerated them overnight, refrigerated the corn mixture and save it all for the next day to serve.

3. To make Sautéed Summer Corn:  ( I grilled the corn, you don't have to, but I like the flavor of roasted corn). Heat oil in skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and 1/2 tsp. salt (if using), cover, and cook 5 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to medium, and sauté 4 minutes more. Add butter, corn, and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt (if using). Cook 5 minutes, or until corn is glistening but still firm. Stir in garlic, and cook 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon or lime juice and parsley; season with freshly ground black pepper.

4. Preheat oven to 450°F. Warm bell pepper halves in oven 8 to 10 minutes. Remove bell peppers from oven, and spoon sautéed corn into each half. Transfer bell peppers to serving plates. Spoon any remaining corn over and around bell peppers. Garnish with chives.

I took a lot of pictures of this recipe. I decided that this is a recipe that a chef would create for a menu at a restaurant. It's quite time consuming and I don't expect many people will make it. My wife and I often say that we don't know many people that eat like we do. I've never been afraid to tackle a difficult recipe.
I often tell the story that I once re created a wedding cake from the cover of Martha Stewart Living magazine and it was just for us to enjoy!
I know that after having this meal tonight that I will make it again.
I hope that someone that reads this blog will do the same.
It truly is a great recipe.
I served it with the potatoes that are also on the blog. Parmesan Baked Potatoes with Herbs and Garlic and......  I made these with butter, Gray sel de Mer from France , fresh dill from our garden and dried dill weed.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

































No comments:

Post a Comment