Sunday, May 5, 2013

Gazpacho / Ree Drummond / The Pioneer Woman

I love Gazpacho and I've never found a recipe that I like.
I recently discovered this one from Ree Drummond.
It's exactly what I wanted.

Gazpacho is a Tomato based Vegetable Soup served Cold. It originated in the Andalucia region of Southern Spain.

You can use V-8 Juice instead of Tomato Juice. It simply has more flavor. I use whatever I have in the pantry at the time. I prefer V-8.

  • 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 1/2 whole Red Onion, Diced
  • 1 whole Large Cucumber, Diced
  • 5 whole Roma Tomatoes, Diced
  • 1 whole Zucchini, Diced
  • 2 stalks Celery, Diced
  • 1 dash Salt To Taste
  • 1/4 gallon Tomato Juice (4Cups)
  • 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1/8 cup Red Wine Vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons White Sugar
  • 6 dashes Tabasco
  • 1 dash Black Pepper To Taste
  •  At the end I add Fresh Chopped Parsley and Chopped Chives from our Garden.

Preparation Instructions

In the bowl of a food processor or in a blender, combine the minced garlic with half the red onion, half the cucumber, half the tomato, half the zucchini, half the celery, half the tomato juice (2C), all of the olive oil,all of the red wine vinegar, all of the sugar, all of the Tabasco, a dash of salt.
Pulse until all ingredients are blended well; mixture will have a nice speckled, colorful texture.
Pour into a large Bowl, add the rest of the Tomato Juice, and half of the remaining Onion, 1/2 remaining Cucumber, 1/2 remaining Tomato, 1/2 remaining Zucchini, and 1/2 remaining Celery.  Reserve some of the diced Vegetables for Garnish.( See Note below before reserving some of the diced Vegetables for garnish).
Stir mixture together and check s\Seasonings, adding Salt and Pepper, if needed. Chill Soup for at least a couple of Hours; It needs to be very cold!  The recipe made a little over 60 ounces.  I put it in a large Vlasic Pickle Jar.
Remove the Soup from the Refrigerator and Stir. Check Seasonings one last time. Ladle into a bowl and Garnish with remaining diced Vegetables, fresh Avocado, Sour Cream, Fresh Parsley and Green Onion.

Note:
At the end, I decided that we would not eat this all at once so I didn't want to keep the Vegetable garnishes in the Refrigerator for a later date.
I decided to put all of the diced Vegetables in the Bowl with the full recipe.
I will Garnish it only with Sour cream, Avocado, Fresh Parsley and Green Onion.
I included the tops of the green onions.



Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!















No comments:

Post a Comment