Monday, January 19, 2015

Texas Date and Pecan Cake

I happen to love Cakes made with dates and fruit and nuts and coconut and spices and a lot of other stuff, so here's another favorite of my that falls into that category. You know I just said that because all of those ingredients are in this cake. Oh well, I hope you like it as much as I do. I make this during  the period between Thanks giving and Christmas. Well, actually, I make it for Thanksgiving and for Christmas. I have other recipes on the blog for Texas Cakes.

Here's what you'll need:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
1 - 9" square baking dish. I just bought a very cool stone one from Pampered Chef.
Brush the pan with Pan Release Mix, (equal parts of Crisco, Vegetable Oil and Flour) I start with 1 C of each, mixed well and refrigerated in a jar. I always have it available for all of my baking needs.
You can also line the pan with Parchment Paper cut into two pieces that hang over the edge 2". Spray the paper with a non stick cooking spray. I prefer the Pan Release Mix.

4 C Chopped Dates
2 C Chopped Pecans
1 C Shredded Coconut
1/2 C Flour
2 TBS Orange Zest
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
1 - (14 oz.) can of Sweetened Condensed Milk

In a large mixing bowl:
Dates
Pecans
Coconut
Flour
Zest
Salt
Ginger
Stir well to combine.
Add Sweetened Condensed Milk and mix just until combined.

Spread evenly in to the pan.
Bake for 30 - 35 minutes, only just until the top is light golden brown.

Remove it to a rack and allow to cool completely before slicing.

NOTE:
Overtaking will cause the cake to be tough when cooled.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment