Friday, January 16, 2015

Beet Borscht

I could write a dissertation about Borscht, but I won't. I'll keep it simple. My wife grew up on a Mennonite farm, her ancestors are Russian Mennonites. Their Borscht has cabbage, potatoes, onion, tomatoes, chicken and cream at the end. I grew up with Beet Borscht served with a dollop of Sour Cream. I haven't researched the origin of the soup, but here's my version of the Borscht that I knew as a child.

Beet Borscht

1 TBS Vegetable Oil
1 small Onion, chopped
1 C of shredded Carrots
1 C of shredded Beets
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 TBS Red Wine Vinegar
1 1/2 C Beet Juice

Garnishes:
Chopped Hard Boiled Eggs
Boiled and sliced Fingerling Potatoes
1 TBS of Horseradish mixed with 1/4 C Sour Cream
Sliced Dill Pickles
Fresh Chopped Dill

In a saucepan on medium heat:
Heat the Oil.

Add:
Onion, cook 3 minutes.
Carrots, cook 3 minutes.
Beets, cook 3 minutes.
Salt and Pepper to taste.
Vinegar, cook until evaporated.
Beet Juice, mix well.

Transfer to a covered bowl and refrigerate until cold.
Ladle the Soup into individual bowls and garnish with the options listed above.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment