Friday, November 21, 2014

Scalloped Apples two ways!



Scalloped Apples:

This is a Thanksgiving Favorite in our Family!
It's great any time of the year.

I wanted to recreate the flavor of Apples that we used to get at Luby's Cafeteria when I was a kid. I loved them and they always had them around Thanksgiving. I created this microwaved version. They are exactly as I remembered them.
I recently added a Crock Pot method.
These are always on our Thanksgiving menu.
It's definitely a Best of the Best Recipe no matter how you prepare them.

10 C peeled, cored and sliced tart apples (about 8 med. apples), of course it depends on the size of the apples.
This is the preparation stage of the apples.

After they're coated with the sugar and spices they are dotted with butter.
They are then microwaved with a cover slightly ajar.

This is the final product.
I just made a double recipe for Thanksgiving 2015
I serve them every year.


1/3 C Sugar
2 TBS Cornstarch
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground Nutmeg
3 TBS Butter ( I cut it into 4 pieces per Pat)
Raisins and Pecans (optional). Add as many or as little as you like.

Place Apples in a 2 1/2 Quart Microwavable Baking dish with a cover
Combine Sugar, Cornstarch,Cinnamon and Nutmeg in a small bowl
Sprinkle over the Apples and toss to coat well
Add Raisins and Pecans if desired
Dot with pieces of Butter
Cover and microwave for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.

 This is my Apple, Corer, Slicer, Peeler,   " Thingamajiggy ".
My father built a wooden stand for it.
This is the perfect recipe for this machine!

NOTE: I often double the Sugar and Spice Mixture. I add the first measurement at the beginning of cooking the Apples. When they're done, I top it with an additional amount of the Mix and stir them well. Then let them cool completely.
I don't double the amount of Butter.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!



Scalloped Apples in a Crock Pot:

14 Apples (I prefer Jonagold or Fuji, you can use Granny Smith too.
2/3 C Granulated Sugar
4 TBS Cornstarch
2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
4 TBS Butter, cubed

Optional:
Raisins
Chopped Pecans
Dried Cranberries
The prepared Scalloped Apples can also be made and then used as a Pie Filling. The Pie is great with the Optional ingredients added.

Apples:
Peeled
Cored
Sliced  (not too thin)

In a small bowl:
Sugar
Cornstarch
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Whisk well.

Place Apples in a Crock Pot.
Sprinkle with the Sugar mixture.
Toss to coat.
Distribute the Butter evenly over the top.

Begin cooking on High.
When the Butter melts, turn the temperature to low and continue
cooking for 5 hours.
Stir often.

The addition of the Optional ingredients is great and it makes
a great Pie.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!



No comments:

Post a Comment