Sunday, November 30, 2014

Gingerbread Bars

I have such a difficult time deciding what to serve at our annual Christmas Open House. I have some traditional items that are always served and then I look for new recipes. I think I'll make these this year. I love Gingerbread during the Holidays and I like the simplicity of this recipe.

Here's what you'll need:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
1 - 9" X 13" pan , brushed well with Pan Release Mix. (equal parts of Crisco, Vegetable Oil and Flour) I start with 1 C of each, mixed well and refrigerated in a jar. I always have it available for all of my baking needs.

Gingerbread Bars


1/2 C Butter, melted
3/4 C Granulated Sugar
1/2 C Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/3 C Molasses
1 Egg
2 tsp Baking Soda
2 C Flour
1 TBS Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Clove
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1/2 tsp Salt
Pumpkin Pie Spice for garnish

Icing:

8 oz. Cream Cheese
1/4 C Butter, softened to room temperature.
3 C Confectioner's Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla

In a large bowl, with a wooden spoon:
Butter
Granulated Sugar
Brown Sugar
Vanilla
Molasses
Beat well.

Add:
Egg
Continue mixing by hand with a spoon until incorporated.

Add:
Baking Soda
Flour
Cinnamon
Ginger
Clove
Nutmeg
Salt
Mix just until combined.
Press into the pan.
Bake for 12 - 15 minutes.
Remove to a rack to cool completely.

Icing:

In a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer:
Cream Cheese
Butter
Beat until creamy smooth.

Add:
Confectioner's Sugar
Vanilla
Continue beating until well mixed.

Ice the Gingerbread and cut into squares. ( see NOTE below)
Sprinkle each square with a dusting of Pumpkin Pie Spice.
Transfer to a serving platter.

NOTE:
If you want to get creative, cut the cake into holiday shapes with cookie cutters. You'll just have to eat the crumbs that will be left over after cutting. Hey, Martha Stewart would do this and so will I. I would place the icing in a piping bag to decorate the final cutouts and dust them.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


No comments:

Post a Comment