I'm vegetarian and I love Veggie Dogs. I like different combinations of condiments and accompaniments with Hot Dogs. I like idea of a Pretzel Bun with my Hot Dog.
This recipe that, I adapted from Food and Wine, is very appealing to me.
- 2 TBS Butter
- 3 large Granny Smith Apples—peeled, halved, cored and cut into scant 1/2" wedges
- 3 TBS Brown Sugar.
- A pinch of Cinnamon
- 6 Hot Dogs ( I use a Veggie Hot Dog)
- 6 long Pretzel Rolls
- Thinly sliced Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450°.
- In a large skillet:
- Melt Butter.
- Add the Apples and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until barely softened and just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the Brown Sugar and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the Apples are tender and lightly caramelized, about 10 minutes longer.
- Stir in the Cinnamon and keep warm.
- Heat a grill pan. Grill the Hot Dogs over high heat until lightly charred all over, about 5 minutes.
- On a baking sheet, place the Hot Dogs in the Rolls and top with the Cheddar Cheese. Bake for about 3 minutes, just until the cheese is melted.
- Top with the Apples and serve at once.
Enjoy! Peace in the Kitchen!