Saturday, February 6, 2016

Krispies ( A Vintage 70's recipe)

I hesitated to post this recipe because I think a lot of people have it , or something similar.
I've seen it made with Graham Crackers lining the pan and even made with Saltine Crackers. However, in this recipe, the Graham Crackers are crushed.
I refer to these as Iconic All American Recipes.
This one came from a piece of paper tucked into one of the cookbooks I bought at the Mennonite Central Conference Sale in Kansas.


Here's what you'll need:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

1 - 9" X 9" Baking Pan.  Brush well with Pan Release Mix. (equal parts of Crisco, Vegetable Oil and Flour) I start with 1 C of each mixed well and refrigerated in a jar. I always have it available for all of my baking needs. The original recipe calls for an 8" X 10 " but I've never seen one. I suppose you could also use an 8" X 8"Pan.

16 TBS Butter ( this is 2 sticks)
1 C Brown Sugar
1 C Chopped Pecans
24 Graham Crackers, crushed and set aside in a bowl.
1 C Flaked Coconut

In a Saucepan on medium heat:
Butter
Brown Sugar
Heat to melt Butter and Boil for at least 2 minutes.
Remove from heat.

Add:
Pecans and stir to combine well.

Spoon the Crackers into the Baking Pan. Spread out evenly.
Carefully add the hot sugar mixture and spread it with an offset spatula.
Sprinkle evenly with Coconut.
Bake for 10 minutes.
Watch it carefully so it doesn't over bake. It's easy to burn it.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment