Monday, February 15, 2016

Fresh Raspberry Pie circa 1990 from Bon Appetit Magazine and shared with me by a High School Friend.

I'm always in pursuit of new recipes and especially vintage ones. I created this Blog because of my Aunt Faye. I pay homage to her every time I add another recipe and another story shared by family and friends.
I received this one from a childhood classmate in Michigan. Cheryl P. and I went to school together and graduated from Waterford Kettering High School in Waterford, Michigan.
I absolutely love any recipe made with Raspberries, it's my favorite berry. Cheryl shared this recipe with me and told me it's one of her  family's favorites.
Her uncle was an amazing cook and was featured on The George Peirrot Show in Detroit, Michigan in the early 60's. He was also an avid Wild Game hunter and Fisherman.
He would have Summer Cookouts that featured menu items such as Antelope, Bear, Canadian Fish, Pheasant and Rabbit. I love her collection of vintage recipes in Zip-Lock bags. I have a huge collection of recipes like that. I've included some of the photographs that Cheryl shared with me.
I believe that recipes are meant to be handed down from generation to generation and shared with family and friends.
Thank you Cheryl for sharing this recipe, story and photographs with me.
I look forward to making this pie. It would be a perfect pie for Easter dessert.

Fresh Raspberry Pie (from Bon Appetit magazine sometime in the 1990s)

Ingredients:
Pastry
  • 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces and chilled *
  • 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, cut into pieces and chilled  *     
  • 6 tablespoons (about) ice water **

  • I cut the butter and shortening and place it on a plate in the freezer while I’m getting the other ingredients out and measured and blended.  That’s usually between 7 & 10 minutes and seems to be a good amount of time.  Chilled but not frozen!

** It is almost always 7 tablespoons.  

Filling
  • 1 1/3 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
  • 7 tablespoons cornstarch ***
  • 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel ****
  • 6 cups fresh raspberries
  • 1/8 ground cinnamon 

*** If the berries are juicy, I increase this.  I have no exact measurement.  It’s just a eyeball according to the 
       berries.  Usually only 1 tablespoons.  I have made this pie from frozen berries, but have also had disasters 
       because it was too hard to judge the amount of cornstarch necessary.  The family joke is that we never know 
       if we’ll get pie or soup.  Truth be told, once the extra juice is drained, and the pie has set in the refrigerator 
       over night, it still tastes great in spite of the mangled appearance!
  
**** Early on in making this pie, I didn’t understand the benefit of the lemon zest and often omitted it.  I don’t 
         do that now!

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

This is the original recipe for the pie from Bon Apetit Magazine.

Cheryl's collection of recipes.

An article about Cheryl's Uncle.






No comments:

Post a Comment