Saturday, September 26, 2015

Hazelnut Balls

I entered this recipe in an annual Holiday Cookie Contest in Dallas. This is my 7th year as a finalist because I just received the call that 2 of my recipes were accepted this year (2015). This is the recipe entered in the Easy category. I held back on posting this until I found out if it made it into the contest.

Update: It won Second Place in the Easy Category. They doubled the Prize Money this year so it was a great year to win!
The first week of December the recipes from the top 3 winners in each category are published in the Dallas Morning News.
Here's mine:




Hazelnut Balls
Yield: 24 - 26 Balls.

3/4 C Hazelnuts (finely chopped, leaving some small pieces)
1 C Rice Krispies
1/2 C Nutella
A bowl of Confectioner's Sugar for rolling the Balls.

Put the Hazelnuts, Rice Krispies and Nutella in a large mixing bowl and gently fold until everything is combined. At the end I use my hands to form a dough like mixture.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate the mix for 30 minutes. (I tried making them without refrigerating the mix and I think they're easier to create the ball) You can still refrigerate it if you plan to make them at a later time!

Scoop the mixture with a 1 1/4" cookie scoop to keep them the same size. Roll them in the palm of your hand to create a smooth ball.

 (Another tip I've learned as I continue to make these): I've made so many batches of them this season. I scoop quite a bit of the mixture into the cookie scoop and then I press it firmly against the palm of my hand until there's enough to form a dense ball. I release it into a bowl of  Confectioner's Sugar and sprinkle it and roll it around until it's completely coated.


These were my favorite cookie this year.
I will definitely make these every year!


Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment