Sunday, September 6, 2015

Eggnog

Here's my favorite recipe for homemade Eggnog. It's the only one I make. I have another favorite one that's easy and it's made with Eggnog Ice Cream. I've added it at the end. If you can't get the Ice
Cream, this one is the best:



Homemade Eggnog:

6 Eggs, separated
3/4 C White Sugar
2 C Whole Milk
3 C Heavy Cream
1/2 C Bourbon/Whiskey
1/4 C Dark Rum
1/4 C Brandy
Nutmeg for garnish

In a very large bowl with an electric hand mixer:
Egg Yolks
Beat until thick and pale yellow.

Add:
Sugar, slowly
Beat well.

Whisk in, by hand:
Milk
2 C Cream
Mix well

Add:
Bourbon
Rum
Brandy
Whisk well.
Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.

Just before serving:

In a large bowl with an electric hand mixer:
Egg Whites
Beat until stiff.
Fold into the other mixture.

In a bowl:
Beat the remaining 1 C of Cream until stiff.
Fold into the Eggnog.
Sprinkle the top evenly with Nutmeg.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


I've researched many recipes for Eggnog and the following is the easiest and one of my favorites. I've made the most complicated recipes involving eggs that have to be beaten, egg whites that have to be folded into the mixture, recipes that include a French Vanilla Pudding mix, sweetened condensed milk etc.
I'm not opposed to tackling difficult or complicated recipes that are time consuming. I find some of them a challenge and I have created some original recipes that I don't expect others to make, however, I also appreciate some of the most simple, tried and true recipes, and this one is one of those! I've posted my favorite homemade recipe on the Blog too that's more traditional.

I'm not sure why I called it "Texas" Eggnog, maybe it's the addition of whiskey!
But it's dang good!

Texas Holiday Eggnog:

1/2 gallon of the best darn good Eggnog Ice Cream  money can buy.
1 quart of whole milk
1 quart of the best darn good Eggnog money can buy.
1/2 pint Brandy
1/2 pint Dark West Indies Rum!
1/2 pint  Blended Whiskey, what ever you can find!
Freshly ground nutmeg for a garnish.

Soften the ice cream
Mix all of the ingredients by hand, in a large bowl.
Chill in the refrigerator.
Just before serving, sprinkle the top of the Eggnog with a good amount of nutmeg.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

Merry Christmas Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment