Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Krispies and Blueberry Cake

That's right, Krispies. But, what are they? I have no idea. Are they a bar? Are they some sort of cookie? Is it a dessert of some kind? I'll just have to make them and see.
I'm getting a bit nostalgic, we're heading to the 2015 MCC sale in Kansas. This is our annual trip to attend the Mennonite Central Conference Sale. It's a gathering of Mennonites and Amish to sell their wares and raise money for Mission work around the world. It's a fun weekend of wandering around visiting food stands, the plant and flower bulb sales, recipe books, homemade decorative items, an entire section of tools and farm implements that are auctioned and of course the Quilt auction that seems to last all day. Oh, I forgot to mention, homemade ice cream, cookies and pies. And the building that's called Feed the Multitudes where we have lunch. There are so many traditional Mennonite foods and baked goods for sale and demonstrations like Russian hand painted batik eggs. It's a weekend of activities.
I usually head immediately to the booth with vintage recipe books that have been donated by churches and individual families. It's my favorite part of the sale, and the Quilt auction!
As I was thinking about our trip in a couple of weeks, I got out some of the hundreds of recipe books that I have purchased over the years and I thought I'd add these two recipes.
I'll probably find more books and publish many more recipes that have been passed down through generations in the Mennonite and Amish community.
I'm posting these recipes exactly as they are written.

Krispies:
1 c butter or oleo and 1 c brown sugar. Boil for 2 minutes.
Remove from heat and add 1 c nuts.
Crush 24 graham crackers and spread in 8 X 10 pan.
Cover with boiled mixture and coconut.
Bake 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
Do not over bake.

Doesn't that sound yummy? (I added this part)


Blueberry Cake
1/4 pound butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups berries
1 tsp vanilla

Cream butte, add sugar, cream together.
Beat yolks of eggs well and add to the first mixture.
Sift flour, baking powder & salt together and add alternating with the milk.
Then fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites and vanilla.
Pour half of the batter into a well greased oblong pan, cover with the berries and then with remaining
batter,
Bake 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut in two inch squares.

Doesn't that sound yummy too? ( I added this part)

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


No comments:

Post a Comment