Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Meringue Fruit Squares with a Sauce

I've been researching Meringue. French Meringue, Swiss Meringue, Italian Meringue, Pavlova, Lost Cake, Forgotten Cake, etc.!
I had no idea what I would find and was amazed at what I did find.
I could post many recipes here, but I decided to make this one my own. The inspiration comes from a variety of things that I discovered in my research.
Here's my take on all of the above.

Meringue Fruit Squares with a Sauce!

Meringue:

6 Egg Whites
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 C Granulated Sugar
1/2 C Brown Sugar
 Pinch of Salt

Fruit Topping:
1 pound of your favorite Berries.
2 TBS Granulated Sugar
In a medium bowl, toss the fruit and the sugar and let it sit at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Stir occasionally.
Refrigerate unti ready to serve.

Or:  Top the squares with your favorite Pie Filling without the added Sugar.



Sauce:
1 C Chilled Heavy Cream
1/3 C Chilled Sour Cream

In a medium bowl:
Beat the Heavy Cream and the Sour Cream with an electric mixer until it holds a soft peak.
Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.



Here's how to make the squares:
You'll need a 6" X 10" baking pan. (We happen to have one, if you don't, use a 9"X 9" pan)
Lightly butter the bottom and sides of the pan and dust with Confectioner's Sugar.
Tap the pan to remove the excess sugar.


Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

In a Mixing Bowl:  (I did this process in a Stand Mixer with a Whisk attachment and the Meringue was incredible)
Beat the Eggs Whites to soft peak.
Add both Sugars all at once and continue beating.
Add remaining ingredients and beat thoroughly.

Pour the batter into the pan.
Put the pan in the preheated oven, turn off the heat.
Leave the pan in the oven overnight, or at least 8 hours.
Remove from the oven.
Allow to cool completely in the pan, on a cooling rack.

To Serve:
Cut the Meringue into squares.
Transfer to individual plates.
Spread some of the sauce on top of each square and top them with some of the berries or pie filling.
Garnish with an additional dollop of  sauce.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!






This is the best Meringue I have ever made.
The texture and taste are amazing.
I will use this for any recipe that calls for Meringue/

The baked Meringue. I simply trimmed the edges with a paring knife.


This is the Sauce.














No comments:

Post a Comment