Saturday, March 23, 2013

Cowboy Squash Casserole

I live in Texas and we have many recipes that include Squash and Corn.
This one has Jalapenos, Mexican  Cheese, Yellow Squash and White Corn plus other good stuff!

It's baked in a 3 quart casserole dish in a pre heated 350 degree oven
I ended up making it in my very large Cast Iron Chicken Fryer. I did all of the preparation in the pan and baked it in the pan. At the end, I broiled the top to give it color. I also have a great Terra Cotta Bram that I make it in.

Cowboy Squash Casserole:

3 pounds of Yellow Squash (sliced thin)
2 large Vidalia Onions, diced
1/2 C Water
1 - 15.25 ounce can of White Corn, drained
3 Jalapenos, seeded and diced
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 Eggs, beaten
2 C Shredded (4 Cheese Mexican Cheese)
1- 8oz. package of Cream Cheese, cut into small cubes

In a saute pan, combine:
Squash
Onion
Water
Cook uncovered just until tender
Remove from heat

Fold in:
Corn
Jalapenos
Cream Cheese
Shredded Cheese
Egg
Cayenne Pepper
Mix well

Pour mixture into a buttered 3 quart Cast Iron casserole dish

Bake  uncovered for 45 minutes

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


In this picture , the original recipe, the onions were sliced. I
did not like the texture with the squash so I re- wrote the recipe
to Dice the Onions. I also recommend the addition of Cayenne
Pepper. I did not think there was enough spice in the original recipe.











No comments:

Post a Comment