Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Falafel Waffles topped with Hummus and Pico de Gallo (Vegan)

I like Falafel. Typically it's made into a sandwich. I don't eat bread so I like the ability to have Falafel in a new recipe. I've added my favorite Hummus recipe and my favorite Pico de Gallo recipe to accompany the Waffles.
This is served as a dinner Entree.


Here's what you'll need:
A Belgian Waffle Maker sprayed with a Vegetable Cooking Spray.

When you're ready to serve, make Waffles according to your Waffle Maker's directions. Spread each Waffle with some Hummus and top it with some Pico de Gallo.

NOTE:
You can make the Hummus and the Pico de Gallo ahead of time and keep refrigerated.


Waffle Batter:
2- 15.5 oz. cans of Chick Peas or Garbanzo Beans
1/4 C Chopped Fresh Parsley
6 Green Onions, thinly sliced
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
1/2 tsp Cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste.
1 1/2 tsp Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda

In a Food Processor:
Chickpeas
Parsley
Green Onions
Garlic
Pulse just until mixed well. You can do this in batches.

In a Large Mixing Bowl:
Falafel Mix
Coriander
Cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste.
Flour
Baking Soda.
Fold in by hand until well combined.
Cover and Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Make the Hummus.


Hippy in the Kitchen Hummus and Homemade Tahini:

Back to my roots, back to the 60's, back to basics. Hummus!
This recipe makes 1 1/2 C

2- Cloves of Garlic, peeled
1- can (15oz.) Chickpeas or Garbanzo Beans, rinse and drain
1/4 C fresh squeezed Lemon Juice
3 TBS Water
2 TBS Tahini (Sesame Seed Paste) Purchase or make your own, recipe to follow.
1 tsp Ground Cumin
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper


In a Food Processor:
Garlic, until minced.

Add:
Chickpeas
Lemon Juice
Water
Tahini
Cumin
Salt and Pepper
Process until creamy smooth.
Transfer to a bowl.
Cover and refrigerate until needed.


Homemade Tahini:

5 C Sesame Seeds
1 1/2 C Vegetable Oil
Toast the seeds on a baking sheet at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes. Stirring often. Do not allow the seeds to brown.
Cool completely.

In a Food Processor:
Seeds
Oil
Process for 2 minutes.
Consistency should be thick and pourable.
Add additional oil if needed.
Cover and refrigerate until needed.


Terry's Original Pico de Gallo

Texans love homemade Pico de Gallo and today I found out why.
I went to the grocery store to get a small amount.
I didn't really need a lot for the recipe I was making.
It didn't look very good.
I decided to buy fresh ingredients and make my own.
I didn't have a recipe so I created this one.

3 Roma Tomatoes, seeded and diced.
1 Red Bell Pepper, diced.
1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
The Juice of 1 Lemon
The Juice and zest of 1 Lime.
1 Red Onion, diced.
1/2 of a Bunch of Cilantro, finely Chopped.
2 Medium Jalapeños, seeded and diced.
1 tsp Adobo Seasoning
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Mix all of the Ingredients in a Small Bowl. Refrigerate covered until needed











Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!









No comments:

Post a Comment