Monday, May 2, 2016

Aunt Faye's Irish Soda Bread

I started a collection of my favorite recipes when I was living in Steamboat Springs, Colorado in the 70's. I had been to college, joined the Peace Corps, returned to college and then had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I was a free spirit and decided I needed to take some time to ski.  I was raised in Michigan and when I was in High School, I joined the ski club and that passion was ignited. I chose to spend time in Colorado.  Colorado had such an impact on my life that I decided to invest in some land there in 1990 . Twenty Four years later we increased that 2.5 acres of land to 5 acres. It's our retirement vacation spot in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. While I was there in the 70's I worked in 3 different restaurants to support my skiing habit. I also did some freelance design to afford the best ski equipment. I became obsessed with cooking and recipes and that's when I started a collection of my "Best of the Best" recipes.
It all started with the influence of my Aunt Faye. I talk about her at the beginning of the blog.
Here's one of the recipes that I made often in Steamboat. It's a perfect Hippy in the Kitchen recipe.
I previously posted it under a category about St. Patrick's Day. I decided to give it it's own post today.


Aunt Faye's  Stone Ground Whole Wheat Irish Soda Bread.
Summer of 1974 , Steamboat Springs, Colorado

Note:
Stone Ground Whole Wheat flour is best. This makes 1 - 7" loaf. I often double or triple the recipe and make 2 - 3 loaves at a time.

1/2 C all purpose flour
2 1/4 C whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3 TBS butter
1 1/3 C buttermilk

Mix both flours, salt and soda, sift thoroughly.
Cut in butter with fingers.
Make a well in the center of the flour, add buttermilk and stir until blended,
Dough should be dry enough to knead, but not too dry.
Knead the dough on a floured surface about 30 seconds.
Make a 6" - 7" ball, dust the top with additional flour and place on a baking sheet
Use a Chef's Knife and cut all the way through the dough in a + sign. 
Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
Remove, rub the top with butter and cool completely,
Most of the time, I don't wait to cool it. I slice it and serve it hot with Fresh Irish Butter.


Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment