Saturday, May 28, 2016

Baked Beans and BBQ Beans!

Baked Beans, 2 Versions

Vegetarian Baked Beans:

I had to come back to this post and create a recipe for my Vegetarian Baked Beans
I've been making these Beans for years and never had a recipe, I just made them.
I soon discovered that the family was asking for these Beans at most Picnics and for Holiday meals, especially Easter.
I finally made them and created a written recipe of ingredients and quantities.
These are Best of the Best Recipes.

3 cans of Bush's Vegetarian Baked Beans ( 28 oz. cans) , drained completely in a Colander.
I don't like wet and soggy Baked Beans.
1/2 C Ketchup
1/2 C Kansas City Original Barbecue Sauce, or your favorite.
1 Large White Onion, diced
1 C packed Light Brown Sugar
No Salt, No Pepper, Nothing else!

I start by letting the Beans drain completely in a Colander.
In a 4 C Pyrex measuring cup, I mix together the Ketchup, Barbecue Sauce, Brown Sugar  and diced Onion.
I let this sit for awhile so the Onion absorbs the flavor of the mixture

In a large bowl, combine the Beans and the Sauce and mix well.
I have a vintage Bean Pot that hold the exact amount of this recipe.

Bake covered at 350 degrees for......at least 1 hour, or more. You'll begin to smell them!
Remove the lid and continue baking for 15 - 25 minutes more.

I prefer to serve them cold as we traditionally would for a Picnic when they have to be transported.









Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


BBQ Beans

Here's another option for Baked Beans.
This version contains my Homemade Dry Baked Bean Mix. (recipe below)



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

3 cans of Bush's Vegetarian Baked Beans ( 28 oz. cans) , drained completely in a Colander.
1 C Diced Onion
Homemade Bean Mix (6 TBS)


NOTE:
If I make them with only 2 Cans of Beans, I  add 4 TBS of the Mix (see recipe for Mix below) and 1/2 C of Onion.


BBQ Bean Mix. (I created this Mix)


Use 2 TBS for each 28 oz. Can of Beans.

In a small mixing bowl:
1/4 C Chili Powder, not Chile Powder. (Chili Powder is a blend of pure ground Chile Pods and a variety of spices like Cumin, Peppercorns and Salt. Chile Powder is pure ground Chile Pods)
1 TBS Kosher Salt
1 TBS Fresh Ground Pepper
1 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Cumin
Whisk well and set aside.

I keep it in a Jar in the Pantry with a Note on it: 2 TBS for each 28 oz. Can of Beans and 1/4 C Diced Onion.


Mix all ingredients,  ( Bean Mix, Beans and Diced Onion) in a large Mixing Bowl.
Transfer to a Bean Pot or a Small Dutch Oven with Lids.

Bake for 1 hour covered.
Uncover and continue baking for an additional 15 - 25 minutes.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment