Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Fig Bundt Cake

I'm a huge fan of recipes made with Figs. I think this would make an incredible Easter Dessert.
Eventually I'll consolidate all of my favorite Fig recipes into one post.


    "Dried mission figs are a bit smaller and sweeter than the Calimyrna variety. Also known as Black mission figs, they have a deep purple skin that appears black when dried, and a slight pinkish hue on the inside."

Here's what you'll need:
Preheat the Oven to 350 degrees.
1 - Bundt Pan with a Simple Design. I wouldn't use a very detailed design for this one. Brushed well with Pan Release Mix. (equal parts of Crisco, Vegetable Oil, Flour) I start with 1 C of each mixed well and refrigerated in a jar. I always have it available for all of my baking needs. This mix is a fool proof release for even the most detailed Bundt Pan design.


Fig Bundt Cake:

2 C Water
1 Pound of Dried Mission Figs
1/2 C Amaretto Liqueur (I use Amaretto di Saronno)
1/8 tsp Almond Extract
2 C Dark Brown Sugar
1 C Vegetable Oil
3 Eggs
3 C Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Powdered Ginger
1/4 tsp Cardamom
1 C Toasted, chopped Pecans (I toast whole Pecans on the stove in a dry Cast Iron Skillet)
Confectioner's Sugar for Dusting.

In a Saucepan on low heat:
Water
Figs
Simmer just until reconstituted and soft.
Remove from heat.
Drain and roughly chop the Figs.

In a Food Processor:
Figs
Amaretto
Almond Extract
Process until well blended and smooth.
Transfer to a Small Mixing Bowl.

In a Large Mixing bowl:
Sugar
Oil
Eggs
Whisk well.

Add:
Fig Mixture
Mix well.
Stir in, with a Spatula or Wooden Spoon:
Flour
Baking Powder
Salt
Cinnamon
Ginger
Cardamom
Pecans
Mix well.

Transfer the Batter to the Pan.
Bake for 60 minutes.
Remove Pan to a Rack and cool for 10 minutes.
Invert the Cake onto a Rack to cool completely.

Transfer to a Serving Platter.
Just prior to serving: Dust with Confectioner's Sugar.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment