Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Pickled Jalapeños and Okra and my Original Salsa Recipe

I happen to love Jalapeños and Okra. Texans eat a lot of them. I'm sure I've posted other recipes using Jalapeños and Okra but I can never seem to have enough. So here's my latest recipes for both.
At the end I re posted my Original Salsa Recipe because it's a great addition to a menu when your'e serving the Jalapeños and Okra!


Pickled Okra:

1 LB. of Whole Okra
4 Serrano Chiles
1 C water
1 C Apple Cider Vinegar
3 Cloves of Garlic, minced
1 tsp Turmeric
3 TBS Ground Black Pepper
2 TBS Sea Salt

Clean the Okra Pods.
Pack tightly, stem sides up into 2 Pint sized, Sterilized Canning Jars.
Tuck 2 Chiles into each jar.

In a Stainless Steel Pan:
Water
Vinegar
Garlic
Turmeric
Black Pepper
Salt
Whisk well.
Bring to a boil.
Whisk again and immediately divide the Brine among the 2 jars.
Seal them and store in the pantry for 3 weeks!

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


Pickled Jalapeños :

1 dozen large Jalapeño Peppers
1/2 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 good sized Yellow Onion, roughly chopped
4 Cloves of Garlic, minced
1 Carrot, roughly chopped
1 C Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 C Water
1 tsp Sugar
2 tsp Sea Salt
1/4 C chopped fresh Cilantro ( I always have it available in my garden)
1 tsp Cumin Seeds

Pack the Jalapeños into 2 Pint sized Sterilized Canning Jars

In a Stainless Steel Pan:
Heat Oil
Add:
Onion Garlic
Carrot
Saute on medium heat for 5 minutes.

Add:
Vinegar
Water
Sugar
Salt
Bring to a boil.
Remove immediately.
Add:
Cilantro
Cumin Seeds
Mix well.

Whisk again and immediately divine the Brine among the 2 jars.
Seal them and store in the pantry for 3 weeks!


Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


Another "Best of the Best" recipe.

Every Texan has their favorite Salsa. Believe me when I say that we are passionate about it. I could talk about Salsa for days, instead, I'll just say that I created this fresh Salsa recipe to make up for all of the "not so good" Salsa that I've purchased or eaten in Restaurants.

I've made this for our friends in France. This means that I take this recipe with me when we travel and make it there.

I use 8 medium sized Jalapenos, you can use less if you don't like the heat. This one is spicy.

I happen to love fresh, non cooked, non roasted and very simple Salsa.

30 Plum or Roma Tomatoes ( I prefer these to others because of the firm texture. I don't peel them) roughly chop them, they'll be processed in a food processor.

6 - 8  Fresh Jalapeno Peppers, cut off the tops, I leave the seeds in. You don't have to if you prefer a less spicy Salsa.

1 Large White Onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1 Green Bell Pepper, roughly chopped
1 Red Bell Pepper, roughly chopped
1 dozen garlic cloves , peeled and cut in half
1 C of packed chopped fresh Cilantro
1 TBS Salt
4 TBS Adobo Seasoning
2 TBS Cider Vinegar
1/4C  Olive Oil
Juice of 3 Limes
Juice of 3 Lemons

In a Food Processor .
Pulse the Jalapenos, Onion and Garlic
Scrape down the sides to incorporate everything
Remove this to a large bowl ( I use a  large Stainless Steel Stock Pot)

Pulse Red and Green Peppers, transfer to the bowl
Without cleaning the processor, add the tomatoes in batches and pulse them and transfer them to the bowl with the Jalapenos.

Stir in the Adobo Seasoning
Add the Cilantro
Season to taste with Salt
Stir in the Vinegar
Stir in the Oil
Add the Juice of the Limes and the Lemons
Mix well

Refrigerate.

"the longer it sits, the better it gits".

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!






No comments:

Post a Comment