Monday, December 24, 2012

Squash A-La- Bama !

Dallas, Texas 2002

I've always said that I could write a cookbook about Corn recipes. I could also write one about Squash.

This is one of my Best of the Best  Recipes.

It was shared with me by my very close friend Roger.

Roger was raised in Alabama and this recipe comes from one of his family friends.
We deemed it A-La Bama....  because I have such a connection to France and French Cuisine and Roger and the recipe is from Alabama...... !

Squash A-La-Bama!

1 LB. Yellow Summer Squash ( about 3 medium)
4 TBS stick of Butter, melted
1 Egg, beaten
1/2 C Mayonnaise
2 TBS chopped Onion
2 TBS chopped Green Pepper
2TBS chopped Celery
1 small jar of Pimientos
2 C grated Cheddar Cheese ( hold 1 C for the topping)
1/2 Sleeve of Saltine Crackers, crushed

Or: I have created it with a 10 oz. package of Birdseye Frozen Season Blend ( Onion,Peppers and Celery) and omit the pimientos.

Slice, boil and drain the Squash.
Mix all other ingredients with the Squash.
Bake in a 2 QT. buttered Casserole Dish, uncovered. No Vegetable Spray for this one.

350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Cover the top with the 1 cup of cheese and return for 5 minutes, uncovered.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!




No comments:

Post a Comment