Saturday, November 17, 2012

Hobo Beans


This one is for the meat eaters, however, I make it vegetarian and will note that in the recipe.

This is a true Texas recipe.
There used to be a restaurant in Ft. Worth, Texas called, Larry's Crossing. The restaurant is no longer in business.
I met Larry many years ago and one day I asked for his secret recipe for Hobo Beans. ( true story, not a tall Texas tale). The recipe was eventually posted in the Fort Worth Star Telegram.

The restaurant was actually a train car, hence the name.......
It had an outdoor patio, live entertainment and plenty of Shiner Bock beer! ( you know, an imported beer from Shiner, Texas...... it's a local thing!) There are actually places here in Texas that make us pay an import price for Shiner....... Oh well, another time, another story!

Anyway, this is a great recipe!

Larry's Crossing Hobo Beans:

1 C Brown sugar. ( if it starts with brown sugar it has to be good)
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C of your favorite Barbeque Sauce
1/2 C catsup
1/4 C mustard
1/2 C Bacon, cooked and finely chopped
1/2 TBS salt
1 TBS Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 TBS Tabasco Sauce
1/2 TBS Louisiana Hot Sauce or additional Tabasco Sauce
1/2 C water
64 ounces of commercial Pork and Beans
1/2 lb. chopped Barbeque Beef

Combine all ingredients in a Cast Iron Dutch Oven and simmer 30 minutes
Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Now for the Vegetarian version:
I use Bush's Vegetarian Baked Beans
Morning Star Farms Hickory BBQ Riblets.
Gardein Beefless Strips , shredded.
I also use a vegetarian bacon ( Morning Star Bacon Strips) fried crisp in a bit of vegetable oil or Microwave several strips for 1 minute. Use as many as you like in this recipe.

I have served this to my meat eating friends without telling them they're eating a vegetarian dish and they love it!

I sent the original clipping from the Fort Worth Star Telegram to my sister in Denver. It was in Aunt Faye's recipe book that my sister sent to me when I was researching recipes for the blog.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


No comments:

Post a Comment