Monday, November 7, 2016

Baked Fruit Casserole

I happen to love Baked Fruit Casseroles. I have one on the Blog for a Curried version of this recipe. I received that one in 1977 from the family of one of my best friends. It's called Marie Gallagher's Curried Fruit Casserole. I make it for Christmas.
I've reposted it at the end of this one.
Both of these recipes are a great addition to a Thanksgiving or Christmas Menu.





I added more Pecans than the recipe calls for.
This is after it was baked.

I stirred it after it cooled.
We have a Triple Crock Pot (3 Crocks in 1 unit.)
I'm going to transfer the Fruit to one of the Crocks

We're serving Corn Timbale in one of the Crocks
and Brussels Sprouts with Butter in the third rock.
It makes for easy serving.


Baked Fruit Casserole.
NOTE:
Chop Apples, Peaches and Pears into pieces approximately the
same size as the Pineapple Chunks.

Here's what you'll need:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
1 - 2 1/2 Quart Casserole, Well Buttered.

2 Large Jonagold Apple, peeled, cored and chopped into 1" pieces.
2 tsp Lemon Juice
1 - 20 oz. can of Pineapple Chunks, drain and reserve 1/2 C of the Juice.
1 - 29 oz. can of Peach Halves, drained and chopped.
1 - 29 oz can of Pear Halves, drained and chopped.
1 - 6 oz jar of Maraschino Cherries, drained. Do not chop.
1 C Pecan Halves, do not chop.
1/2 C Well Packed Dark Brown Sugar
2 TBS Butter
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Nutmeg

In a Large Mixing Bowl:
Apples
Lemon Juice
Stir to mix well.

Add:
Pineapple
Peaches
Pears
Cherries
Stir to mix well.

Spoon into Casserole.
Top with Pecans.
Set aside.

In a Saucepan on Low Heat:
Sugar
Butter
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Reserved Pineapple Juice
Cook , stirring constantly, until the Butter is melted
and the Sugar is dissolved.
Pour evenly over the Pecans, do not stir.
Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!



Christmas Eve, 2012!

Today I pay homage to a dear family friend, Marie Gallagher. She recently celebrated her 90th birthday.

I became friends with the Gallagher family in the early 70's.

Marie used to make this casserole and I loved it. She shared this recipe with me in 1977.

It's in my book of recipes that I started in Steamboat Springs, Colorado in 1974, when Jay Gallagher and I lived there.

Marie Gallagher's Curried Fruit Casserole, Palatine, Illinois, 1977.

1- 15 oz. can of Pears, sliced
1- 15 oz. can of Peaches, sliced
1- 15 oz. can of Apricots
1- 15 oz. can of Chunked Pineapple
1 small jar of Maraschino Cherries
1 tsp Curry Powder
1 tsp Cinnamon
3/4 C Brown Sugar
1/3 C Melted Butter
Butter for greasing the pan

Drain all fruit, arrange lightly in a buttered casserole dish
Mix together, Curry,Brown Sugar and Melted Butter & pour over the fruit.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. It can bake for 2-3 hours without harm

Thank you Marie, I know you celebrated a wonderful 90th birthday, with all of the kids!
I wish I could have been there!
And thank you for sharing this delicious recipe!

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!




No comments:

Post a Comment