Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Icing, my favorite recipes

I decided to do a collection of Icing recipes.
I spent some time as a Cake Decorator in the 80's.
My favorite Icing that we made is called Better Cream....... no it's not Butter Cream!
Once you try it, you'll understand the name.




You read that correctly, it's Better Cream, not Butter Cream.
Many years ago....... OK, back in the 80's, I worked as a Cake Decorator.  I was looking for a part time job and someone talked me into it. I was very successful at it and I enjoyed it. My mentor was a woman named Elizabeth and she was a brilliant cake decorator. I learned everything I could from her. I wanted to succeed and I listened and I learned.

 As we were baking this weekend, my wife and I were having a conversation about icing. She's baking a recipe for a cake by Rebecca Rather (I'll post the cake recipe later) and converting it into cupcakes and small individual Cakelettes. We bought a new Cakelette pan from Williams Sonoma. The Cakelettes will be dusted with Confectioner's Sugar. Rebecca's Icing has Jack Daniels Whiskey in it and it's incredible, but these Cupcakes will be served to children, she made the basic Buttercream icing for them. So..... then we talked about the difference between Buttercream Icing and Better Cream Icing. I remembered that we only used Better Cream at the Bakery. I began to research a recipe and was unsuccessful.
Most people mistake Better Cream for Butter Cream and are not aware that there's a difference.
I decided to look at my go to hand written books of my Best of the Best Recipes and I found my notes on Cake Decorating..
I found my recipe for Better Cream Icing




Better Cream Icing:
2 C Crisco
2 pounds of Confectioner's Sugar
a dash of Vanilla extract
a dash of  Almond extract
a pinch of Salt
1 - 8 oz.  Thinnest recommended for a Cake  1/2 Pint of Heavy Cream ( 4 oz. for Medium /Stiff , recommended for Piped Cupcakes and Decorative Piping on Cakes), ( 6 oz. for Thin) recommended for a light filling.
The Stiff Icing is used to create Decorative Borders and Flowers with Icing Tips and Icing Bags.
I recommend using Canvas Icing Bags but Plastic Bags can also be used.

Cream Crisco well in a Stand Mixer with a Paddle Attachment.
Add all other ingredients and mix until well incorporated, don't over mix.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


Chocolate Icing:

Icing:
36 TBS Butter, room temperature (yes, you read that correctly)
3/4 C Confectioner's Sugar
3/4 C Guittard Noir Cocoa Powder
1/2 C Hot Water
1/2 C Sour Cream
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
A Pinch of Salt
3 1/2 C  Guittard Extra Dark Chocolate Chips, melted.

In a Stand Mixer with a Paddle Attachment:
Butter
Beat 5 minutes.

In a bowl, sift together:
Sugar
Cocoa Powder

On low, in the Mixer:
Add:
The Sugar/Cocoa \Water
Water
Sour Cream
Vanilla
Salt
Beat on low for 1 minute.
Increase speed to medium.
Beat an additional 2 minutes.

Add:
Melted Chocolate
Beat for 1 minute just to incorporate.
Remove the Cakes from the Freezer.
Assemble the Cake traditionally with a layer of Icing between each layer.
Ice the entire sides and top of the cake.
Allow to rest at room temperature at least 1 hour before serving.


Coconut Icing

Icing:
8 TBS Butter, room temperature
6 TBS Whole Milk
3 1/2 C Confectioner's Sugar
1 tsp Coconut Extract

In a Saucepan on Medium Heat:
Butter
Milk
Bring to a boil, stirring until the Butter is melted.
Add:
Confectioner's Sugar
Coconut Extract
Whisk until smooth.



Pineapple Icing:

8 TBS Butter, softened
1 - 8oz. package of Cream Cheese, room temperature.
4 TBS Pineapple Juice
4 C Confectioner's Sugar

In a mixing bowl and an electric hand mixer:
Butter
Cream Cheese
Beat until creamy smooth.

Add:
Juice , beat until incorporated.
Gradually add Sugar, until incorporated and creamy smooth.


German Chocolate Icing:

12 TBS Butter, room temperature.
1 - 12 oz. can of Evaporated Milk
1 1/2 C Granulated Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
4 Large Egg Yolks, beaten.
7 oz. Baker's Flaked Coconut
1 1/2 C Chopped Pecans


In a Saucepan on Medium Heat:
Butter, until melted.
Add:
Milk
Sugar
Vanilla
Egg Yolks
Cook for about 10 - 12 minutes.
Stir constantly until it begins to thicken.
Remove from heat.

Fold in:
Coconut
Pecans
Stir by hand until well combined.
Pour over the Cake and smooth evenly with an Offset Spatula.










No comments:

Post a Comment