Thursday, January 26, 2017

Mushroom Puff Pastry Appetizer and Baked Cheese Olive Bites

We entertain at home and I love serving small, hand held appetizers.
This is a delicious Mushroom Puff Pastry Appetizer.
When I was little, my parents entertained a lot. I remember my mother's appetizers. How could I forget her Baked Cheese Olive Bites? They were such an iconic 50's - 60's appetizer. I posted it at the end of this recipe. She made them every year for her New Year's Eve Party.


Mushroom Puff Pastry Appetizer

Here's what you'll need:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Mini Muffin Tins sprayed lightly with a Vegetable Cooking Spray.

4 TBS Butter
1/2 C Finely Diced Onion
1 lb. of Fresh Mushrooms, Finely Chopped.
2 TBS Flour
1/2 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
1/2 C Heavy Cream
Salt and Pepper to taste.
1 - Package of Frozen Puff Pastry, thawed.

In a Large Skillet on Medium High Heat:
Butter until melted.

Add:
Onion
Mushroom
Sautée to reduce the liquid.

Add:
Flour
Whisk until well combined.
Cook for an additional minute. Stirring constantly.

Add:
Lemon Juice
Whisking until incorporates.

Add:
Cream
Whisk well and cook until it begins to thicken.

Add:
Salt and Pepper to taste.

On a Flat Surface, lightly floured:
Puff Pastry
Roll out to 1/8" thick.
Cut into 2 1/2" Squares.

Add:
1 heaping tsp of Filling in the center of each square.
Bring up opposite corners, gently pinch them and repeat with the other corners.
Drop them, gently into the wells of the Muffin Tin. Do not force them into the bottom.

Cover the pan with Plastic Wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until Golden Brown.
Transfer to a Serving Platter.

Serve Immediately.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!



Baked Cheese Olive Bites

I hesitated to post this recipe because I didn't think anyone would make them. Now that I have posted vintage recipes, I decided to write about this hors d'oeuvres.

My mother made these when I was a child. I think she served them at every New Year's Eve Party as far back as the mid fifties. I use to eat them like candy.

I remember making them myself sometime in the eighties for New Year's Eve. I also had a retro 50's and 60's party not so long ago and served these.
I still love them and I need to make them again soon.
I don't think I need an occasion anymore.

Cheese Olive Bites:
1 C grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 C flour
3 TBS butter
green olives ( the recipe doesn't state this, but the olives are pimento stuffed)
It also never mentioned how many it makes...... and I never added it.

That's one of the things I love about those vintage family recipes that were made often, all you needed to know was that you made them often and it didn't matter if anyone else needed to make them.

My mother in law has many recipes that don't even tell how many cups or tablespoons of an ingredient are needed, she just knew!


Mix cheese, flour and butter together to form dough around the olives.
Place them on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10 - 20 minutes.

I started baking them on a Silpat lined cookie sheet.
The next time I make them, I may post the amount that it makes.... or not!

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


No comments:

Post a Comment