Saturday, December 22, 2018

Pappy's Christmas Cookies

Pappy's Christmas Cookies:

I discovered this Vintage Recipe from Aunt Faye's Collection.
This was the name of her Cookies in her Recipe File.
She was a Personal Chef in Metamora, Michigan.
These were the Cookies  she made at Christmas and left on a plate for Santa when we visited her on the farm. It was at her house that my sister and I first heard Santa on the roof. (really, we did)
My mother continued the tradition and I have too.

My Son in Law named me Pappy when our first Grandchild was born.
When I discovered this recipe in Faye's collection, I knew I had to post it.
I've taken liberty to adapt part of this Vintage Recipe to update it, not changing the integrity of the original one.

I just entered this recipe in a nationwide Barnes and Noble Cookie Contest.
#mycookiestory




2 C Granulated Sugar
16 TBS Butter, softened
3 Eggs
Mix Well, in a Stand Mixer with a Paddle Attachment, just until incorporated.

Add:
1 C Buttermilk
1 tsp Baking Soda
Mix until just incorporated

Add:
Zest and Juice of 2  Navel Oranges
Mix until just incorporated.

Gradually Add:
4 1/4 C sifted Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder

Refrigerate Dough for 30 minutes

Using a 1 1/2" Cookie Scoop (I used a 1 3/4") drop the Cookies 2" apart on a Parchment Paper lined Sheet Pan.

Bake at 375 degrees 8 - 10 minutes.
The edges should be Golden Brown.

I wanted to add a NOTE here. This is the first time I've made them in our new Double Ovens. We have a Convection on Top and a Regular Lower Oven. I started in the Convection and Baked them for 8 mins. It wasn't enough. I increased the time to 9 minutes and that wasn't enough. I ended up Baking them in the Lower Oven for 10 minutes and they're perfect. After removing the Pan from the Oven, I let the Pan rest on a Rack for Ten Minutes and I was able to easily peel the Parchment Paper away from the Cookies to transfer them to the Rack to cool completely. They're perfect.

It made 50 Cookies.

Icing:
In a Small Mixing Bowl:
1 Pound of Confectioner's sugar
2 tsp Butter, melted
Zest and Juice of 1 Navel Orange
Mix well with a Blending Fork until Creamy Smooth.
Frost them with an Offset Spatula.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment