Friday, April 6, 2018

Harvard Beets


I was recently made aware of this recipe and I wanted to add it to my Blog. I remember my Grandmother serving them but I never knew they had a name or history.



They may have earned their name because the color reminded people of the color of the Harvard Crimson Football Jerseys.
Others claim the recipe was created in the Harwood Tavern in England where the name was eventually mispronounced and Americans began calling them "Harvard."


Here's what you'll need:
A Sauce pan large enough to accommodate 2 - 15 oz. cans of Sliced Beets.


2 - 15 0z. cans of Sliced Beets, drained
3/4 C Granulated Sugar
4 tsp Cornstarch
1/3 C White Vinegar
1/3 C Water
3 TBS Butter
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper


In the Saucepan on Medium High Heat:
Sugar
Cornstarch
Vinegar
Water
Whisk well.
Bring to a Boil.
Cook 5 minutes.

Add:
Beets
Reduce Heat to Simmer.
Simmer for 30 minutes.

Add:
Butter
Salt
Pepper
Remove from Heat.

Stir well until Butter has melted and is well combined.

Serve Hot or Cold.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!
















No comments:

Post a Comment