Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Blueberry Buttermilk Pie

This is a recipe that my neighbor created. He's a Professional Pastry Chef. I have the story on the Blog posted in an article from The Dallas Morning News. A friend from College made it after reading the article but I realized I had never posted it by it's self. So here is the recipe for:

Randy's Blueberry Buttermilk Pie

Since making the pies, I've added some changes that worked.
Please note them when reading the recipe!

This recipe makes 2 pies

3 1/2 C sugar
1 C flour
1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter ( softened)
6 eggs
2 C buttermilk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 C fresh blueberries, lightly tossed in 2 TBS of flour ( divided), I added 2/3 C in each pie
2 uncooked pie crusts, frozen or homemade( thaw, if frozen ) I used Marie Callender's Frozen Deep Dish Pie Crust)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, bake in the middle of the oven

In a large bowl, mix together flour and sugar and set aside
Melt butter and pour over the flour-sugar mixture. Whisk until totally incorporated
( the entire batter can be done in a stand mixer)

Add eggs one at a time, allowing each addition to become incorporated before adding the next one
Add buttermilk and vanilla
Mix well and set aside

Sprinkle the bottom of each pie shell with 1/4 C of berries ( I used 2/3 C in each pie)
Evenly distribute the buttermilk filling into the pie shells
Push the berries down into the filling. (I did not push them down)

Bake for 25 minutes
Rotate and bake 10 - 20 minutes more, tops should be golden brown ( I baked them for 45 - 50 minutes without turning them)

Remove and place on a rack to cool
Refrigerate until ready to serve

Substitute other fruit if you like, or leave the fruit out all together

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


The recipe makes 2 pies, and there was some left over so.....

I made some in ramekins!


No comments:

Post a Comment