Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Pommes de Terre Dauphinoise

I was recently asked if given Potatoes as a main ingredient would I choose Whipped, Sweet or Gratin!
My immediate response was Pommes de Terre Dauphinoise and then I realized I had not posted the recipe on my blog.

Here is my favorite recipe and it comes from one of the first recipe books that I bought when I was young and first interested in cooking. That may have easily been when I was 20, which would have been in 1970 after my first trip to France.
The book is the Iconic Larousse Gastronomique. Mine is dated 1961.
I bake mine in an amazing Bram.

Here is the classic French recipe for Pommes de Terre Dauphinoise:

Slice 1 pound of  Yukon Gold Potatoes, very finely.
Put them in a bowl and moisten with 1 1/2 C of boiled milk with a beaten egg added to it.
Season with salt, pepper and freshly grated nutmeg.
Add 1/2 C of grated Gruyere Cheese and mix well.Put the potatoes into an earthenware dish that has been rubbed with garlic and buttered well.
Sprinkle it with additional grated Gruyere Cheese.
Scatter 1 1/2 TBS of butter in tiny pieces over the top, wipe the edges of the dish.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Serve from the dish.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


This is my favorite dish for any Gratin including American Macaroni and Cheese
recipes. Its Terra Cotta and it's one of my favorite cooking vessels.

No comments:

Post a Comment