Saturday, March 9, 2013

Rhubarb Mus and Cherry Moos

Today I'm going to talk about Moos or Mus !
I'll be making Rhubarb Mus later today.

The first time I experienced this dessert, I was at The Mennonite Central Committee Relief Sale in Hutchinson, Kansas with my wife and her family.

They are from an Amish , Mennonite community.
This is where I learned about Mus.

Some believe that it originated in Germany, but most believe the the origin is Russian Mennonite.
My wife's family is of Russian Mennonite decent.

There are many, many versions of this dessert and I've been researching the archives of my collection of Mennonite and Amish cookbooks and found the following recipes that appealed to me the most.

However, my wife says that she has never heard of Rhubarb Mus so it must have been made by the Ohio or Pennsylvania Mennonites.
She grew up with Pluma Moos and Cherry Moos.

I was raised in Michigan and we grew Rhubarb and plenty of it so this recipe appealed to me.
I've tried to grow Rhubarb here in Texas and have failed .
I've been told that some of my favorite things that we grew in Michigan are impossible to grow here.
We can't grow Peonies or Lilacs ..... or Rhubarb.

I purchase my Rhubarb from the Amish/Mennonite Bulk Food Store near Hutchinson, Kansas.
I believe that Rhubarb is an acquired taste. You either love it, or think that it's very strange.


I happen to love it in any recipe.

Rhubarb Mus:

4 C diced Rhubarb
4 C Water
1 C Raisins

Cook Rhubarb and Raisins in the Water until tender.

In a separate bowl mix together the following ingredients to create the thickening agent.
1C Sugar
2 TBS Flour
1 C Heavy Cream
Add this to the cooked Rhubarb/Raisin mixture and continue cooking until it becomes thick.

Serve warm or cold.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


This is my favorite version of Cherry Moos.
Some recipes use Jello and some use other thickening agents.
Some use milk, cream..... and the recipes vary.
I chose this one to publish here.

Cherry Moos:

1 Qt of Pitted Sour Cherries
1 Qt. of Water
1/2 C Flour
1 1/3 C Sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 - 13oz. Can of Evaporated Milk
1tsp Almond Extract
1/2 tsp Red Food Coloring

In a large kettle combine the Cherries and Water and boil for 2 minutes.
Mix the Flour, Sugar and Salt and stir in the Canned Milk.

While stirring, slowly add 2 C of the Hot Cherry liquid.

Slowly stir this mixture back into the Hot Cherries.

Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and add Almond Extract and the Food Coloring.


Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment