Friday, March 8, 2013

Cherry Delight

I'm fascinated by vintage American recipes that others around the world may not quite understand.

My wife and I recently returned from a funeral in Kansas.
There are 3 foods that you can guarantee will be at a Mennonite Funeral.

Zweiback Rolls
Funeral Cheese ( 6" Cheddar, sliced and quartered) served with slices of Ham that make a sandwich with the rolls.
Jello

I've never seen a group of women come together and cook for a multitude of people as I did at the funeral.
It was quite impressive.

I have never seen so many jello recipes in one place in my life.
There was every color imaginable with so many different variations of ingredients added.
I tasted some of each and loved them all.

Here's another classic recipe from one of the Mennonite Recipe Books.
This Book is a handwritten Book put together by the women of our families church.

Cherry Delight:

50 regular sized marshmallows
1 C Milk
1 Large Carton of Whipped Topping
1 1/4 C Graham Cracker Crumbs
1 1/4 C Butter, melted
1/4 C Chopped Pecans
2 Cans of Cherry Pie Filling

Melt Marshmallows and milk, slowly in a saucepan
Cool thoroughly
Fold Whipped Topping into the Marshmallow mixture

Mix Graham Cracker Crumbs, Butter, and Pecans
Press into a 9"X13" pan

Spread the Marshmallow mixture on top of the crust
Spread the Pie Filling on the top and chill thoroughly.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!







No comments:

Post a Comment