Sunday, March 31, 2019

Gingerbread Soufflé

This is an easy but decadent Holiday Dessert. Gingerbread evokes visions of Christmas Past. It's an iconic Christmas Dessert. I have several recipes for Gingerbread Cakes and Cookies. I also make Gingerbread Latte during the Holidays.



This my personal choice to replace Molasses.
I use it in all recipes that include Dark Molasses.


I've included a Maple Syrup Sauce.


Here's what you'll need:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
A Stand Mixer with a Whisk Attachment or a Hand Held Electric Mixer.
A 2 Quart Soufflé Dish (brushed well with Pan Release Mix) I've included the recipe at the end.


Soufflé Base Ingredients:

4 TBS Butter
1/4 C Flour
1 1/2 C Milk
2/3 C Dark Brown Sugar
1/3 C Black Treacle (my personal choice to replace Molasses)
1 TBS Dried Ginger
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1/2 tsp Clove
1 tsp Vanilla
1/4 tsp Salt
7 Large Egg Whites, room temperature.
4 Large Egg Yolks
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar

Confectioner's Sugar for Garnish.

Maple Syrup Sauce:

4 Large Egg Yolks
1/4 C Pure Maple Syrup
A Pinch of Salt
1 C Half and Half
1/2 tsp Vanilla

In a Saucepan on Medium Heat:
Butter, heat until melted.

Add:
Flour, gradually while Whisking until Smooth.

Add:
Milk
Whisk while bringing to a Boil.
Continue Whisking for 1 minute, until it's Thick and Creamy.
Remove from Heat.

Add:
Sugar
Molasses
Ginger
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Clove
Whisk well.
Transfer to a Glass Bowl and allow it to Cool. (Whisk every 5 Minutes for a Total of 15 Minutes.

Add: (Whisking)
Egg Yolks

In a Stand Mixer, or by Hand:
Egg Whites
Cream of Tartar
Whisk until Stiff Peaks.
Fold Half of this Meringue into the Soufflé Base.

Gradually Fold in the remaining Meringue into the Base until there are no visible streaks.

Spoon into the Soufflé Dish that's been brushed well with Pan Release Mix.

Bake 45 minutes.
Don't open the oven door during baking.

Remove and Serve Immediately.
Garnish individual servings with the Warm Maple Syrup Sauce.

Maple Syrup Sauce

In a Saucepan on Medium Heat:
Egg Yolks
Maple Syrup
Salt
Whisk well.

Gradually Whisk in Half and Half.
Do not allow to Boil.
Cook for 5 minutes.
It's ready when it's Thick enough to Coat the Back of a Spoon.
Remove from Heat.

Add:
Vanilla
Whisk well.
Transfer to a Serving Bowl and Serve Warm.

Dust Individual Servings with Confectioner's Sugar.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


Pan Release Mix:

I spent some time as a Cake Decorator in the 80's. I was looking for a part time job and the opportunity came available. I learned from my mentor, Elizabeth. She had worked in the industry for over 20 years and she was incredible at making cakes and decorating them. She taught me so much and I took advantage of the knowledge that she had. I came away with the best icing recipe, the best decorating techniques, and this recipe for the perfect Pan Release. I also took some Cake Decorating Classes and this was the recipe used in the Class. I use it in all of my Cake Pans, including the most intricate Bunt Pan designs.




Pan Release Mix

Equal parts of Crisco, Vegetable Oil and Flour.
I start with 1 C of each mixed well and refrigerated in a Jar.
I always have it available for all of my baking needs.

Brush the Pans generously with the Mix.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!






No comments:

Post a Comment