Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Tex - Mex Soup / an original recipe from The Hippy in the Kitchen

I started to create a new soup recipe yesterday. It was going to be something with a Tex  - Mex flavor. It began as an Enchilada base. It wasn't thick enough for my taste. I kept adding and adjusting and finally created this Crock Pot / Slow Cooker recipe. The only title I could come up with was Tex-Mex. I've always said that a recipe that starts with Tex-Mex usually turns out great.

Here's the final recipe:

6 Whole Roasted Hatch Chiles, chopped.(I use a canned  Whole Hatch Green Chiles)
 They're much easier than roasting, seeding and peeling fresh chiles..

1 TBS Vegetable Oil
1 large Onion, chopped
4 Cloves of Garlic, minced. I used 2 tsp of minced garlic from a jar.
2 - 15 oz. cans of Pinto Beans, drained and rinsed well.
2 - 14oz. cans of diced Tomatoes with the liquid.
1/2 tsp Cumin
2 tsp dried Oregano
1 tsp Salt
1 TBS Adobo Seasoning
2 C Instant Refried Beans. (I buy it in the bulk section at a local grocery store)
1 C Nature's Burger Mix (I buy it in the bulk section at a local grocery store)
1 C Dried Pinto Beans

Topping options to garnish each bowl of soup:

Crushed Tortilla Chips
Grated Smoked Gouda Cheese
Sliced Black Olives
Sliced Green Onions
Sour Cream
Chopped Fresh Cilantro

In a skillet:
Heat Oil
Saute Onion for 10 minutes.
Add Garlic for an additional 2 minutes.

Transfer the Onion/Garlic mix to a Crock Pot / Slow Cooker.
Add all of the remaining ingredients.
Cover and cook on low for 4 - 6 hours.
Stir occasionally.

Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with your choice of toppings.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!




No comments:

Post a Comment