Saturday, May 28, 2016

Baked Beans and BBQ Beans!

Baked Beans, 2 Versions

Vegetarian Baked Beans:

I had to come back to this post and create a recipe for my Vegetarian Baked Beans
I've been making these Beans for years and never had a recipe, I just made them.
I soon discovered that the family was asking for these Beans at most Picnics and for Holiday meals, especially Easter.
I finally made them and created a written recipe of ingredients and quantities.

3 cans of Bush's Vegetarian Baked Beans ( 28 oz. cans) , drained completely in a Colander.
I don't like wet and soggy Baked Beans.
1/2 C Ketchup
1/2 C Kansas City Original Barbecue Sauce, or your favorite.
1 Large White Onion, diced
1 C packed Light Brown Sugar
No Salt, No Pepper, Nothing else!

I start by letting the Beans drain completely in a Colander.
In a 4 C Pyrex measuring cup, I mix together the Ketchup, Barbecue Sauce, Brown Sugar  and diced Onion.
I let this sit for awhile so the Onion absorbs the flavor of the mixture

In a large bowl, combine the Beans and the Sauce and mix well.
I have a vintage Bean Pot that hold the exact amount of this recipe.

Bake covered at 350 degrees for......at least 1 hour, or more. You'll begin to smell them!
Remove the lid and continue baking for 15 - 25 minutes more.

I prefer to serve them cold as we traditionally would for a Picnic when they have to be transported.









Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


BBQ Beans

Here's another option for Baked Beans.



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

3 cans of Bush's Vegetarian Baked Beans ( 28 oz. cans) , drained completely in a Colander.
1 C Diced Onion

BBQ Bean Mix.

In a small mixing bowl:
1/4 C Chili Powder, not Chile Powder. (Chili Powder is a blend of pure ground Chile Pods and a variety of spices like Cumin, Peppercorns and Salt. Chile Powder is pure ground Chile Pods)
1 TBS Kosher Salt
1 TBS Fresh Ground Pepper
1/2 TBS Onion Powder
1/2 TBS Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Cumin
Whisk well and set aside.

Mix all ingredients in a large Mixing Bowl.
Transfer to a Bean Pot or a Small Dutch Oven with Lids.

Bake for 1 hour covered.
Uncover and continue baking for an additional 15 - 25 minutes.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment