Thursday, August 28, 2014

Chocolate Malted Financiers

I can't take credit for this recipe, however, I did change the name and adapted it a bit. The original recipe is from Baked, the incredible New York City Bakery. I love everything they create.
I have two vintage Financier pans so I opted to make this recipe in them, instead of in Madeleine pans. The only difference is the shape of the cookie. I also change the technique for greasing the pans to guarantee easy release. I use my favorite Pan Release Mix. I mention it in every recipe I bake.
These turned out perfectly. They released from the pans and they have a very "french" chocolate flavor. I think the type of Cocoa Powder you use is important. I used Van Houten's L'Original 100% Pure Unsweetened Cocoa Powder that we bought in France. I like the addition of Milk Powder with the Cocoa Powder in the dough and also in the dusting mixture for the final presentation.

1/2 C +2 TBS Flour
3 TBS +1 tsp Malted Milk Powder
2 TBS +1 tsp Dark Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, divided
1 tsp Baking Powder
2 Eggs, room temperature
1/2 C Granulated Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
5 TBS Butter, melted and at room temperature

Prepare the pans by brushing them with Pan Release Mix. (equal parts of Crisco, Vegetable Oil, Flour)
I start with 1 C of each mixed well in a jar and refrigerated. I always have it available for all of my baking needs.

In a small bowl:
Flour
3 TBS Milk Powder
2 TBS Cocoa Powder
Baking Powder
Whisk well.

In a Stand Mixer with a Whisk attachment:
Eggs
Granulated Sugar
Salt
Whisk on high speed for exactly 3 minutes
Slowly drizzle in the Butter on Low Speed just until incorporated.
Remove the bowl from the mixer , cover with a Tea Towel and allow to rest at room temperature for 1 hour.

Stir the batter with a wooden spoon.
Carefully spoon the batter into the wells of the pan, about 3/4 full.
Bake for 10 - 12 minutes. I baked mine for 11 minutes.

They recommend rotating the pans half way through the baking time. I did not and they turned out perfectly. I baked two pans at the same time. I also placed the Financier Pans onto Sheet Pans to bake them.

Remove from the oven to cooling racks for 5 minutes.
Release the cookies and place them on the cooling racks to cool completely.

In a small bowl:
Remaining Cocoa Powder
Remaining Milk Powder
Whisk well.
Sift the Powder over the cookies. This technique can be difficult. I started with a small mesh sieve and a spoon, to dust them. I ended up using my grandmothers flour sifter. It was easier.

Note: I doubled the amount of the dusting Powder, I didn't feel that the original was enough for 24 cookies.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!






No comments:

Post a Comment