Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Pimento Cheese / Wednesday Morning Taste Section in the Dallas Morning News

Today is Wednesday and that means the Taste Section with recipes in the Dallas Morning News.
I almost passed on a recipe today. The main subjects are Cocktails with an herbal edge and Live your Ice Cream dreams. I wasn't really interested in any of the recipes and then I saw the one that caught my eye....... "Perfect for a picnic"  Classic Pimento Cheese Spread.
How could I pass on sharing this one on the blog. I love picnics and have posted several picnic recipes and I love Pimento Cheese Sandwiches. It was inevitable that this was going to be included on the blog. Here's my adapted version of the recipe. Only verbiage has been modified. Ingredients are exact.

Here is the recipe from Alicia Ross:
Alicia states that the secret to her recipe is the room temperature cheddar cheese and cream cheese before mixing them with a stand mixer. She recommends the paddle attachment and does not use a food processor. She says you can make it as spicy as you'd like by adding additional black pepper and cayenne.

Classic Pimento Cheese Spread:

3 C sharp cheddar cheese ( room temperature)
8 oz. cream cheese ( room temperature)
1/2 C mayonnaise
1/3 C pimento peppers from a jar, well drained and chopped
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper, or more to taste
1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper, or more to taste

Combine all ingredients in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment.
Mix just until well blended.
Best if brought back to to room temperature before serving.
Makes about 3 cups.

Of course I would double or triple the recipe for a family picnic.

Option:
Transfer to an oven proof casserole dish.
Add 1- 4 oz. can of Diced Green Chiles and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes to make a great dip.
Serve with Tortilla Chips.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!
I don't think I will ever buy Pimento Cheese again!

No comments:

Post a Comment